Last night’s Sabres game may have been an NHL dream because it was 5-4 with an overtime goal to win it, but that was not a pretty game at this from this Sabres fan’s point of view. There’s a couple things I like from last nights game and a few that I don’t:
– First Ryan Miller struggled last night letting in a couple of awkward goals and a big rebound that landed right in front of the net on that game winner. I wouldn’t liked to see Lalime last night and have Miller in net, but either way Miller did have a handful of really good saves and the Sabres still got a point.
– I like the move to point Kotalik on the Roy-Vanek line. Putting a sniper slapper and wrister on a line with those two should generate plenty of scoring opportunities.
– Thomas Vanek is definitely growing into his own. The goal they wiped away was an unbelievable show of skating and puck handling ability. He also and more importantly has allowed me to relax when he’s in the defensive zone. He’s doing a great job of using his body to shield the puck and creating havoc on the forecheck and backcheck.
– Glad to see Afinogenov get a goal finally. Very nice play and you could tell how excited he was to watch that go in.
– This team needs a healthy Tim Connolly to be a legitimate competitor.
– The hooking calls have gotten out of hand. How many players do you see put their stick in for the puck and the offensive player just tucks their arm down on the stick. Look at the last penalty from last night.
– The Sabres did not skate well last night and still had control of that game and let it slip away and the penalties they took late gave Atlanta a chance, hopefully they’ll play better tonight in Boston.
Side note: How exciting is it to see Nathan Gerbe and Tim Kennedy slowly work over the AHL, it’s nice to know that there is some depth down there and that will obviously play into some of the decision Darcy and Larry will make down the road.